While different industries require industry specific skills, our research shows that most business analyst jobs vacancies tend to require the following skillsets:
- Bachelor’s Degree or related experience (preferred in IT, technology, business, marketing, or a industry related field).
- 0-5 years experience.
- Data visualization (Tableau / Power BI) & SQL skills and experience.
- Advanced MS Excel skills including formulas, pivot tables, data filters/sorts.
- Works collaboratively with stakeholders and business leaders to understand, review, analyze and evaluate business needs.
- Responsible for business requirements: definition and documentation for new and changed application deliverables.
- Act as a liaison between business partners and IT development team.
- Scope, elicit, analyze and document business requirements – BRD for both new and existing applications using a variety of techniques and tools.
- Translate business requirements in to functional requirements through the use of a functional requirement document FRD.
- Define and manage the scope of projects anticipating issues and proactively recommending solutions.
- Construct workflow charts, process diagrams and models.
- Self-motivated, willing to learn new technologies and able to work independently & cross-functionally
- Goal-oriented, passionate, high-energy professional with a “no excuses” attitude
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Must be comfortable and competent in communications with senior stakeholders both internally & externally
- Possesses the drive to participate and succeed in the growth of the company
- Strong computer skills with experience using MS Office, and Google applications
Our Business Analyst Work Experiences help students and candidates master these specific skills needed to succeed in interviews and jobs as business analysts.
These critical skills are also useful in a wide variety of allied job roles as well including Data Analyst, Project Manager, Financial Analyst, Data Scientist, and many more. Read more about related roles here.